Last month’s Town Council meeting was the first meeting following the June 27 election and we started the meeting by swearing in newly elected Town Council Members Patrick Berry, Jack Gilbride, and Paul Oupadia. Council then elected me, Laila Benitez, as Mayor and Dan Caton as Mayor Pro Tem.
I look forward to serving our community in this new role and to working closely with my fellow council members. I would also like to again thank Dan Jansen for his four plus years of service as mayor.
July 20 Meeting Highlights
- Town Council appointed representatives to various boards, committees, and commissions, such as the Finance and Budget Committee, The Historical Telluride Museum, and the San Miguel Authority for Regional Transportation.
- EcoAction Partners and San Miguel Regional Housing Authority both gave their annual reports.
- We heard an introductory presentation from the Colorado Mountain College (CMC) Community Committee. CMC is considering introducing college courses toward bachelor’s and associates degrees, certificate programs, and occupational training to San Miguel County. They requested appointment of a Town Council representative to participate in a future “needs assessment”.
- Century Link provided an update on their efforts to increase redundancy in the region. Unfortunately, none of the projects they described will provide redundancy for Mountain Village or help us to avoid future outages. Council will continue to look for alternative solutions but so far reasonable and cost-effective solutions have been elusive.
- Finance presented and Council accepted the 2016 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and the 2016 Independent Auditor’s Report.
If you would like more specifics about any of these topics, you can review minutes from the meeting.
August 17 Agenda Highlights
- We will receive an update on the Crown Castle Macro Tower Project near the top of Lift 7 and recent roadblocks to the project’s completion. The aim of the tower is to expand phone coverage and data capacity for wireless providers/customers, to accommodate emergency broadcast systems, and to allow for future communication providers.
- Telluride Regional Airport Authority will present their biannual report.
- We will make appointments to the following committees and projects:
- Discussion of a Comprehensive Plan Amendment for Lot 30 in the Village Center Subarea.
- The San Miguel Authority for Regional Transportation will be discussing the terms of an intergovernmental agreement to contract and fund the operation of the town’s interjurisdictional transportation.
- And finally, we will consider adoption of bylaws for the formation of the Green Team Committee. This board of Town Council members, town employees, residents, and local partners would advise Town Council on local environmental issues, information, and resources.
A full agenda has been posted on our website; we welcome your input by any means you are comfortable with and hope to see you at the meeting.
Mountain Village Mayor