June 15, 2018 — (San Miguel County, CO) – Stage 2 fire restrictions in effect throughout San Miguel County to include U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Town of Telluride and Mountain Village.
San Miguel County Sheriff Bill Masters issued a temporary order June 4th enacting Stage 2 restrictions. San Miguel County Board of Commissioners is set to formally adopt these restrictions via Resolution at their Wednesday, June 20th regularly scheduled meeting.
The following acts are prohibited under Stage 2 Fire Restrictions are in effect across San Miguel County, including US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management property in the county. These restrictions also apply in the Town of Telluride and Town of Mountain Village who passed their ordinances.
- OPEN FIRE: Building, maintaining, attending or using an OPEN FLAME, including fire, campfire, stove fire, charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves, and devices (stoves, grills or lanterns) using a liquid fuel such as white gas or kerosene.Exception: Operating a stove, lantern, or other device using pressurized gas (natural gas, propane or isobutene) equipped with a valve that allows the operator to immediately turn the flame on and off.
- SMOKING except in an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building or on paved, hardscape areas in compliance with applicable clean air acts. All cigarette butts must be fully extinguished and disposed of in a receptacle designed for cigarette butts.
- CHAINSAW operation without an approved spark arresting device, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (8 oz. capacity by weight or larger and kept with the operator) and a round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available
- WELDING or operating acetylene or other torches with an open flame (check with Town of Telluride for exceptions)
- EXPLOSIVE USE. This includes but is not limited to fuses or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, and tracers or incendiary ammunition.
- TARGET SHOOTING ON BLM LAND – To include discharging a FIREARM, air rifle, or gas gun.
- MOTOR VEHICLE OFF ESTABLISHED ROADS, motorized trails or established parking areas, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the vehicle (except for parking overnight in developed campgrounds and trailheads).
- FIREWORKS: The use of fireworks, flares, or other incendiary devices, including exploding targets, are always prohibited on federal lands.
A poster is attached to assist with distribution of this information. A website with restriction information for west region counties has been created www.westslopefireinfo.com. It has information for Montrose, San Miguel, Ouray, Hinsdale, Gunnison and Delta counties as well as our federal partners.