The Colorado Department of Transportation and contractor Oldcastle SW Group, Inc., will begin a project next week on CO Highway 145 just northwest (down valley) of Telluride and Mountain Village. The work, starting on Monday, April 15, 2019, will greatly improve safety for motorists by widening the two-lane highway, adding a southbound, uphill passing lane (toward Telluride) and improving shoulders between mile point (MP) 73.9 at lllium Road (County Road 65L) and MP 75.1 at Deep Creek Road. Passing lanes will provide space and opportunities for faster vehicles to safely pass slower moving traffic. This safety-improvement project was contracted to Oldcastle for $5.4 million. Crews will excavate the hillside along the northbound lane and widen the roadway to accommodate the new southbound passing lane. The work will involve the following:
- Construction of a reinforced soil slope and rockery retaining wall
- Installation of new guardrail
- Replacement of existing culverts at eight locations across this stretch of improvement from Illium Road to the CDOT Maintenance facility
- Construction of a concrete box culvert at Deep Creek
- Super-elevation and crown improvements on the roadway (meaning the roadway’s banked curve will be adjusted and its height will be leveled to improve safety for motorists, by way of cornering ease and increased sight distance)
TRAVEL IMPACTS Through the project’s completion in early December 2019, motorists can expect some single-lane, alternating travel through the work zone, as well as periods of two-way traffic with narrowed, 10-foot lanes. The following are general details regarding travel impacts (for more specific, updated information, please go to the project website, below, and sign up for weekly project emails, or check “road work” on www.cotrip.org):
- April 15 through early July 2019 - Single-lane, alternating traffic will be directed by flagging personnel from *7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and special event dates, listed below.
- Early June through late December 2019 - A 10-foot width restriction will be in place 24/7.
- Early July through late December 2019 - Single-lane, alternating traffic will be controlled by temporary traffic lights at each end of the work zone, Monday through Friday, from *7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Access onto and off of Ilium Road (CR 65L) and Deep Creek Road will be maintained.
- Access to the Galloping Goose trail system will be maintained.
(*These start/end times will change with daylight hours - please sign up for weekly project updates or check weekly lane closures on www.cotrip.org.) The following periods of work suspension will be in effect for these holidays and special community events:
- June 19 through 24 - Telluride Bluegrass Festival
- July 3 through 5 - Independence Day holiday travel
- July 12 through 14 - The RIDE Festival
- August 8 through 11 - Telluride Jazz Festival
- August 30 through September 2 - Labor Day holiday weekend
- September 13 through 16 - Telluride Blues & Brews Festival
- November 27 through 29 - Thanksgiving holiday
Be sure to visit the project's website for updated information.