Currently semi-retired but serve as Chair of the Board of AdvancEd/Measured Progress, the largest assessment/school improvement company in the United States.
Previously President of two of the world’s largest educational publishers: Pearson Learning Group and McGraw-Hill School Publishing. Spent my career in the education world.
Began my career as a middle-school history and English teacher.
Length of Time as Town Resident
Previous Political Experience/Specific Qualifications
- I have served on the Mountain Village Town Council since July of 2015 and have been Mayor Pro Tem since July of 2017.
- Currently serve as Secretary/Treasurer of SMART (San Miguel Authority for Regional Transportation) and have been on the SMART board since the organization’s inception in 2016.
- I serve on several Mountain Village town committees, including the Finance, Business Development, and Gondola Committees.
Reasons You Would Like to Serve
I am eager to continue the work that the Council has taken on in the last four years. I have been especially
involved in these three important areas:
- Development must be carefully planned, environmentally sustainable, and must align with the Comprehensive Plan and our citizens’ wishes. For instance, I have been instrumental in moving forward the agreement that will allow a highly regarded boutique hotel at the base of the gondola.
- Town vitality requires continued development of hiking and biking trails, implementation of the Town Hall Subarea Plans and development of the Town Center Subarea Plan, continued expansion of the SMART bus routes and trails, and further new, convenient, and fun experiences in the Village Center.
- Infrastructure projects are underway that require sharp cost oversight and creative thinking, including the expansion of the wastewater treatment plant; the building of the new Medical Center; the expansion of our VCA workforce housing; the implementation of the visionary Town Hall Subarea Plan, and many others. Perhaps most important, we must envision an upgrading and funding future for the gondola.
And we must do it all while keeping taxes reasonable and maintaining the beauty of this special place.
Other Information You Want to Include (family, community involvement, other personal information)
My wife, Liz, and I are active members of the community. Liz is on the Mountain Village Design Review Board and the Board of the Telluride Women’s Network, volunteers with Telluride Adaptive Sports and has been an advocate at the San Miguel Resource Center. I have also supported TASP, have been a regional school instructor/advocate for SMRC, and serve as Chair of the Pinhead Institute Board.
We have two grown children, Chris and Nick, who live in San Francisco and Brooklyn. Collectively, they have provided us with four grandchildren, Hannah, Turner, Harper, Maggie, and one more (so far unnamed) on the way—all under six years old (OMG!).
Molly and McGee run our house and insist that they are not Bernese Mountain dogs.