The Gondola is open November 16 – April 7
In an effort to support our local businesses in providing high service levels and assist workers with getting to work earlier, the gondola and chondola (winter only) opens at 6:30 a.m. This includes both sections of the gondola – Market Plaza (formerly Town Hall Plaza) to Mountain Village Center and Mountain Village Center to Telluride, and the Chondola.
It may not be the reason why you come here, but once you discover our preferred form of transportation – a gondola – you’ll want to retire those car keys. The gondola, the first and only free public transportation of its kind in the United States, opened in 1996, and was originally built to help improve air quality while expanding the ski area.
Since then, it has become a popular attraction for residents and visitors alike, giving them a front row seat with Mother Nature at 10,540 feet and access to a copious amount of biking, hiking and skiing trails as well as shops, restaurants and watering holes.
In addition to operating the gondola, we also provide a high line speed chairlift referred to as the chondola. The chondola is a condensed version of a gondola cabin supporting four passengers at a time during the ski season months, and providing access between Mountain Village Center and the Meadows neighborhood. The closest parking lot to the bottom of the chondola is the free Meadows Parking. From this lot, walk down Adams Ranch Road and through Big Billie’s Apartments driveway and pass Big Billie’s Restaurant. The cabins are free to the public whereas skiers and boarders are required to have a lift ticket.
Please Take Note
- Without notice the gondola may close temporarily due to weather conditions, a power outage, or something else that is beyond our control. When this occurs, we follow a specific operating procedure, which includes erecting closure signs and running our bus service. This usually transpires when the gondola is down for a prolonged amount of time – usually 30 minutes or more.
- Gondola hours are extended at various times throughout the year, usually for a special event or holiday. This information is listed as an event as part of our online calendar. Do expect long lines during peak times. As always, we appreciate your patience.
- During the months when the gondola is closed, we provide free bus service to and from the towns of Mountain Village and Telluride.
- If you accidentally leave a personal item in a gondola cabin, you will want to dial (970) 729-3435 to speak to a gondola operations supervisor. Our procedure for handling lost items can be accessed via our lost and found web page.
- We will do our best to accommodate passengers who wish to ride alone. To do so, please inform the gondola operator on duty.
Title VI Program Policy
The purpose of the Title VI Program is to establish guidelines to effectively monitor and ensure that we are in compliance with all Federal Transportation Administration Title VI requirements and regulations in order to carry out the provisions of the Department of Transportation’s Title VI Regulations at 49 CFR Part 21.
ADA Service Plan
In accordance with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Civil Rights Act of 1964, we do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation or gender. For additional details, review our ADA Service Plan.
- The Town of Mountain Village offers complimentary para-transit services 365 days per year.
- Hours of operations are 6:30 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. (seasonally)
- To schedule your ride, please call (970) 729-3435, 24 hours in advance