Four Town Council seats are up for election June 25, 2019
The Town of Mountain Village will hold a regular municipal election on Tuesday, June 25 to elect four Town Council members. To learn about this year’s candidates, please visit our candidates page.
The Wilkinson Public Library moderated a Candidate Forum on Tuesday, June 4 at the Mountain Village Town Hall starting at 5:15 p.m. moderated by the Wilkinson Public Library. The Forum is available to view on our website and Facebook.
Voter Registration Information
The Town of Mountain Village takes your right to vote seriously and includes both legal residents and non-resident property owners. A legal resident is any person who has maintained a principal residence within the town for at least 30 consecutive days prior to a scheduled town election and fulfills voter registration requirements. A non-resident property owner is an owner of real property located within town limits who is not a legal resident of the town but may become a registered elector and thus qualified to vote. Deadline to register to vote for the 2019 election is 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 28, 2019.
Non-Residents Property Owner Requirements
- Fulfill voter registration requirements (see right).
- Hold the title to a property in natural name, not in the name of a trust, partnership, corporation, etc.
- Owner of record of real property for 30 consecutive days immediately prior to the election date during which time you have owned at least 50 percent of the fee title interest in the real property. However, such property interest shall not include ownership of parking spaces, religious or other charitable facilities, hotel units, roads or common areas intended for non-profit use.
Voter Registration Requirements
If you meet these requirements and have registered and/or voted in a Mountain Village election during the past four years, or if you have registered to vote with the San Miguel County Clerk with a Mountain Village address during the past four years, you are automatically registered to vote in the Mountain Village Regular Municipal Election. Contact the Town Clerk’s Office via email with any questions or to confirm your voter status. It’s important to note that if you are registered to vote with the Town of Mountain Village you will receive a Mountain Village ballot, but if you wish to vote in San Miguel County, State of Colorado or Federal elections, you must register with San Miguel County.
To register to vote with the State of Colorado, eligible Coloradans may simply text the word “Colorado” or “CO” to “2Vote” (28683) on a smartphone, and then open the link to the Secretary of State’s online voter registration and election information site. Or go to govotecolorado.com to register or verify your voter information.
If you are already registered to vote you do not need to re-register.
All Town of Mountain Village elections are conducted by mail ballot. ‘Voter Verification Cards’ will be mailed 45 days in advance of the 2019 election. Please verify that the information on the card is correct and return promptly to ensure a mail ballot is sent. Please contact the Town Clerk’s office for any questions. Ballots will be mailed to active registered voters between June 3 and 10 and may be returned either by mail or in person to Town Hall, located at 455 Mountain Village Blvd. Suite A or before June 25. On Election Day, the polling place at Town Hall will be open from 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
Voter Registration List
The Town’s Voter Registration List is maintained to facilitate the municipal election process. Individual voter records may only be changed with written notice. Records will be kept as to the most recent date you voted in our municipal election. Records will be purged if:
- You fail to vote in two consecutive municipal elections or for four consecutive years, whichever period is longer; or
- We receive notification of the sale or transfer of Mountain Village property or discover it through our audit process or otherwise (We will examine whether or not you are still eligible to vote.); or
- During our audit process or otherwise, we determine that you no longer own a minimum of 50 percent of the fee title interest in the subject real property or you no longer hold title to the property in your natural name.
You will receive a notification if you are no longer an eligible voter for Town of Mountain Village elections, and the reason for your ineligibility. For more details regarding maintenance of our voter registration list, you may review the resolution regarding Procedures for Maintaining the Voter Registration.