Sales Tax & Revenue Collection
As a municipality our revenue streams vary from the typical (think parking tickets) to the not-so-typical (enterprises such as Mountain Munchkins Child Care). Following is a more complete list of our revenue streams in no particular order.
- Business license fees (Proceeds from business license fees are distributed to Marketing Telluride, Inc. for regional and national marketing efforts, with a portion retained by us for administrative costs.)
- Liquor license fees
- Parking tickets & traffic fines
- Planning & Development Services Department fee schedule
- Community engagement fee schedule
- Mountain Munchkins child care
- Village Court Apartments
- Cable fees
- Water & sewer fees
Sales Tax Income
Sales tax income is a significant source of funding used to pay for community-wide services. We hope that you chose to dine, lodge and shop locally … the more you do, the better we may serve you. All sales in Mountain Village are accessed with an 8.65 percent sales tax, of which
- One percent goes to San Miguel County.
- 2.9 percent goes to the State of Colorado.
- 4.5 percent goes to the Town of Mountain Village.
- 0.25 percent goes to the Regional Transit Authority.
Above that, we collect a two percent restaurant tax and a four percent lodging tax, of which:
- 50 percent of the lodging tax we collect goes to Marketing Telluride, Inc.
- 50 percent of the lodging tax we collect goes to Colorado Flights Alliance for its Airline Guarantee Program.
- 100 percent of the restaurant tax we collect goes to Colorado Flights Alliance for its Airline Guarantee Program.
- Less two percent administrative fee of the remittance.
To see how we fare in terms of tax collection – current and historical – review our sales, lodging and restaurant tax collections document.