If you’ve always been interested in growing your own food but don’t have the space, The Michael Ruterbories Memorial Community Garden is just what you need. This community garden includes 31 raised, wooden garden beds available in two sizes – eight feet by twelve feet ($25) and eight feet by eight feet ($20) – and located next to Village Court Apartments.
We provide the water and topsoil/compost mix, you take it from there. Plots are open to Mountain Village residents, groups, families, organizations and businesses from May 1 to October 31, daylight hours only. Within the fenced garden, you can grow fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers. Since it is an organic garden, herbicides, pesticides and commercial fertilizer are not allowed. To reserve you garden plot today, please complete the application. Gardeners will be assigned a garden plot on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Garden is open during daylight hours only.
- Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Dogs are not allowed in the garden. Friendly, well-behaved dogs may be tethered outside the garden.
- Each gardener is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their garden plot and pathways around it.
- Garden plots must be cared for at least once a week.
- Garden plots should be kept free of weeds and invasive plants.
- Keep trash out of garden plots, and respect neighboring plots.
- Marijuana plants may not be grown in the garden.
- Gardeners who do not care for their garden plots for three consecutive weeks will be given notice. If immediate care is not given to the garden plot, it will be reassigned and your fee forfeited.
- Keep trellises and supports at a reasonable height so as to avoid shading other garden plots.
- Plants should be kept from sprawling onto pathways and other garden plots.
- Picking from another person’s garden without their consent is cause for immediate termination of your rights in the garden.
- By October 31, all plants inside of the garden plot must be removed as well as any stakes, row covers, etc. If this does not occur, VCA staff will clear it.
- Avoid the wasteful use of water: do not flood your plot and do not water other gardeners’ plots unless you are asked.
- Gardeners must sign a Waiver of Liability Agreement before gardening.